As we enter the Winter phase of Covid, companies remain reluctant to hire full time. So, what does that mean for those looking for full-time employment? You too must become nimble, open-minded, adaptable! Give some of these ideas and recommendations consideration:
- Expand your Geographical Scope – With “remote” work trending, why saddle yourself to a few locations. Go big and look across state lines for job opportunities. It is time to expand your horizons and the locations should be limitless!
- Consider & Welcome new ideas – Even though you may want a permanent position there are alternative paths to get you there! Consider temporary work with an option for direct hire! Companies might be reluctant right now to hire permanently but have a critical opening. Starting out as a consultant gives YOU the opportunity to see if YOU like the company and puts immediate $$$ in your wallet.
- Refine & Perfect your Tech – Video Interviewing and all that goes with it is here to stay. Like it or not, Covid 19 has thrust us 5 years into the future and over 50% of the companies out there are using video technology to interview. If you have not perfected this – It is time to get a “tech check” and get up to date and highly skilled in the virtual world.
- Showcase Adaptability & Flexibility – Now more than ever companies need people that can adjust. While companies try to adapt and face new challenges daily, the employees who lean in and become more adaptable and flexible are a breath of fresh air. Voice your flexibility on social media, wherever, and whenever possible to create potential opportunities.
- Manage your Time – When we do not have a work schedule it’s easy to get off track. Manage your career search like you would a full-time job. Start at the same time, work your network every day, connect with people, join applicable groups, and be open-minded. If there are some positions out there that are of interest to you but rather unconventional, try to network your way into a conversation with a hiring manager.
- Volunteer your Services – Everyone has something of value to offer. Determine what you are best at and offer to trade services or volunteer your services to an organization that interests you. Not only is this good for your inner being and uplifting for your spirits but you never know who you are going to meet and what can happen! Your next incredible opportunity could be right around the corner!
- Mind your wellness and Keep the Faith – I know that there are a lot of people out there now that are discouraged. If I can offer any words of strength and hope I would say – Please take care of yourself, keep pushing forward, talk to like-minded people, stay connected, and invest in your own personal wellness. I promise you this difficult time will pass, and you will come out stronger for it!