Job Hunting has changed dramatical in just a matter of months. Here’s what we are facing now:
- Unemployment went from 3.5% to 11-20% unemployment depending on your state.
- Companies that once had 5-10 candidate responses are now getting hundreds (and they are mostly off the mark).
- Viral Interviews “Vinterviews” are showcasing people in t-shirts and jeans with pets and kids interrupting.
- Conversations require empathy and extra time for conversations about wellness allotting for less Vinterviews per day.
- Companies cannot keep up with the current inflow of job hunters and leave many without any follow-up at all.
- It is scary and frustrating to start at a company where you haven’t met anyone in person.
- Everybody is home and accessible making it easy to schedule meetings.
- People are anxious to connect and talk.
- Employed candidates are just as easy to connect with as unemployed ones.
- Firms are creating innovative ways to engage potential talent by sharing video tours of their company and messages from various colleagues.
- Video Happy Hours are offered for new hires to create comradery and inclusion.
- Firms are scheduling face to face meetings in parks and public spaces to meet job seekers face to face.
- The job offering process has become extremely fast and efficient – a nice change from prior times.
Tips for Job Hunters –
To ensure a call back or scheduled interview, review job descriptions carefully and apply to only those that seem to be a very close fit.
Diligently follow up with hiring managers and recruitment firms to show them you are committed and interested.
Network – Network – Network! Now is the time to call former colleagues and deploy friends and family. There is nothing wrong with asking for referrals and people that you can call to network with.
Be mindful that a Vinterview is simply a replacement for a face to face interview. Dress appropriately, do your research and preparation, and eliminate any potential slip ups (like pets and family) from interrupting your interview!
And finally, do not forget about creating a partnership with at least 3 reputable industry specific staffing firms. Work with them on job hunting tips, resume review, and potential opportunities that they might have forthcoming.